It requires two hands and two feet to play drums. So yeah, sure, let’s add the highly technical responsibility of tracks to the drummer’s plate. Makes sense.
Bands that successfully run backing tracks think intentionally about who will be responsible for them.
Here are 7 tips to help you choose the right band member to run click and tracks in your band:
1) Avoid the drummer
2) Consider having the music director run tracks
3) Who is the most technically capable person? (You can rule out the guy with the email@example.com email address)
4) Who is comfortable troubleshooting? (Any IT folks in the band?)
5) Pick someone who has good musical instincts and knowledge
6) Consider someone not on stage like a dedicated playback tech
7) Buy them a MIDI controller that makes sense for their role
Who runs tracks in your band and what made you choose them? Let me know in the comments!